Tuesday 5 July 2011

things i will miss about denmark

i've been inspired by a recent conversation during a bike ride with a friend of mine. she asked me what i would miss the most about copenhagen. it is too difficult to narrow it down to just one thing, so i figured i would just do some shout-outs over the next few weeks as i think more about the question :)

Thing number 1:

The Mosquito. The Skeeter. Skeet skeet. My bike.


copenhagen is a city dominated by bikes. city planners work hard to redesign roads and bridges to accommodate those that commute by bike -- bike lanes get wider, car lanes get fewer, bridges only for bikes get built, etc.

they say that 30% of copenhageners commute by bike, but it feels like every day the number grows. there is no better way to get around the city and no better way to explore its inner crevices.

getting a bike was my number 1 priority when i moved to copenhagen in 2007. i inherited an old, used bike from a colleague and it got me where i needed to be, but after a year, it was time for it to retire. in fact, it has been parked outside of my old apartment enjoying the fresh air for the past 1.5 years (think retired racehorse in the pasture).

the mosquito was a gift to myself after being hired permanently at dis, and it has been my trusty stallion for over 2.5 years now. we have had 1 major crash together due to too many cocktails at the ice bar and the fact that i forgot to eat dinner (a lesson i learned the hard way). my second crash with the skeeter was last summer after i decided to "press the eject button" and tuck & roll across the pavement. don't worry -- no injuries that time :) but she has endured it all, including being knocked over by a man with a cello outside my window as i write this (thank you, sir, for at least picking her back up again).

i will miss her trustworthiness, her ability to get me to work on time, and the sound of the spokes when riding in 3rd gear across the lakes. however, i will not miss the hole in the seat that soaks up rainwater and leaves wet circles on my butt. it definitely gives the wrong impression...

so skeeter, this one's for you (this is when you raise your glass for her). thanks for all the good times, the scary times, the brake short times, the flat tires, the broken chains, the bike gang times, the "broke my tights times", and all that was in between. may you be as loyal to your next owner as you were to me, and may you go for a decent price when i put you on the market. skål and tak for det hele!

No comments:

Post a Comment